As the days get cooler and the leaves begin to change colour, there’s no doubt about it – fall is in the air! The change of season and the return of routine (kids back at school!) is a great motivator to many for making positive changes at home, like joining the gym, getting more organized – or maybe even tackling some long overdue home improvements.
It’s one thing to want to make a change to freshen up your curb-appeal, but some home improvements are absolutely vital to attack in the weeks to come, with harsh winter conditions looming just around the corner.
While it might feel difficult to justify spending the money now, leaving long awaited repairs until the spring could cost you more in the long run.
Here’s a list of 5 of the most pressing home improvements you should consider before old man winter starts beating down the door (literally!):
1. Roof replacement or repairs: There’s nothing worse for a leaky roof than ice, snow, and the extreme fluctuation in temperatures that typically accompany our Quebec winters. Before the first frost, get an estimate on a roof repair and avoid the risk of water damage and mass heating loss during the cold months. If the full cost of a replacement seems too much to endure, at the very least get a roof repair to winter- proof problem areas, like cracks, and loose or missing shingles.
2. Clean and seal deck: If you’re not routinely cleaning and sealing your deck, you’re setting the surface up for weakening overtime. To test whether your deck is winter proof, throw some water down – if it beads up, that means your deck is well protected for the winter ahead. If the water gets absorbed by the wood, then it’s time to seal again asap to prevent mildew and water damage.
3. Fix cracks in driveway & walkways: The tiniest cracks in your driveway and walkways will get a lot worse as the bitter cold of winter causes the asphalt to expand and contract. Jump on cracks fast (pretty easy to do yourself), or get an estimate from a pro.
4. Gutters: Most of us will come up with every excuse in the book to avoid this mucky job – yet neglecting your overflowing gutters is a serious mistake! In winter, stagnant water unable to flow in a clogged gutter can lead to a leaky roof, with the potential to damage both the interior and exterior of your home. If you can’t stand the job, hire it out.
5. Update windows: Windows should ideally be checked once a year to make sure they’re sealed and functioning well. If your windows are getting old, consider replacing them before winter hits – you might be surprised to learn how much heating loss inefficient windows cause. Two sure signs that your windows need replacing: decaying window frames and condensation appearing between the two glass panes, indicating a seal failure.
After surveying this list, you may have discovered that you need to deal with one or more of the jobs mentioned over the autumn period. You may feel comfortable accomplishing some tasks yourself, while you might prefer to leave others in the hands of a contractor.
If you’d like some professional consulting on one of these – or any other home renovation project – feel free to reach out to Phenix Experts to benefit from their years of professional experience and highly personalized service. Don’t put it off – request your FREE in-home estimate today!